Thursday, April 29, 2010

IN FLIGHT (Poem 26)

Erle Frayne Argonza y Delago


Paalam!
Women of the Philippine isles!
Paalam!

You are so cherishingly warm.
I sense your warmth
Mirrored in your ever smiling faces.
Your assuring glances alone are sunny rays:
They melt away the ice of weariness
That have gathered in the bodies
Of visiting travelers and warriors.

You have awakened from slumber!
Wakened and strengthened enough to bury
The bottomless pits of injustice where history
Once left you forlorn as
Non-persons.

In flight
I’ll always remember what
You’ve counseled me:
Through you I will discover
The Woman gender of the world
Your awakenings have this me told

That every endeavored dream in the universe
Is markedly possible.


[Writ. 05 Sept. 1987, Univ. of the Philippines, Quezon City, M.Manila.]

No comments:

Post a Comment