Saturday, May 1, 2010

IN FLIGHT (Poem 38)

Erle Frayne Argonza y Delago


What then, my Wings of Flight?
Will you later lead me back to my cradle land?
Will I be what personage by then?
Will I be a Ceasar who shall bring home
Laurels of triumphant conquests?
Will I be like him who came to be known
Through the fiery pathway of warfare?
Will I end up like him, rewarded thereafter
With the cryptic Brutal slay?

O! Blessed Wings! Times are a-different!
Gone are the grand city-states of antiquity.
And the calling is one when nation-a
Are dying
When conquest cast by battles
Is giving way to empathic friendship
Thru the crucible of peace
When lines that create gulfs
Betwixt peoples are effacing
Paving hence the way for brotherhood.
Will I be then an inversion of Ceasar?

Please aid me in solving the puzzle
That much later I may know deeply.


[Writ. 18 Sept. 1987, Univ. of the Philippines, Quezon City, M.Manila.]

No comments:

Post a Comment